NEXUS- LINKING YOU

Monday, November 19, 2007

Saawariya – A Fairy Tale !

Don’t give a damn about critics..? then, go and watch
Saawariya.

Saawariya, the movie in collaboration with Columbia pictures was the most awaited and highly talked
about film until its release and now its no more in the limelight thanks to the bad critic reviews .

Its a pity,as this film deserves more. Before beginning to write this review, I was reading through some of the critic’s opinions and was surprised to see lot of negative remarks about the movie. I agree that I’m not well qualified to write
anything about their opinions, but this movie certainly deserves a lot more than what it has got.

Here is what I sincerely feel about the movie…Saawariya is an Indian classic.Period.A fairy tale about love, happiness, failure and life. The
Indian splendor and beauty reflects through every single frame, dialogue, set and through each character. although this movie is inspired from the short story “white nights”,but Sanjay Leela Bansali has made sure that it perfectly fits into Indian cinema. One of the major plus points is the narration. Probably we haven’t come across anything like this involving lots of creativity and aesthetic side. Think of how many times you have heard a prostitute unfolding a love story? That is what makes the narration even more beautiful taking the most aesthetic part into the consideration.

The movie is pretty straight forward and well directed. I agree that saawariya is bit poetic in the beginning but as the movie starts to flow, as a viewer I simply overlooked it and started enjoying it. All the characters were perfectly cast and one
of the best characters that audience can look up for is Ranbir’s character.

Another aspect of the movie that needs significant importance is the background score. I was awestruckby it when I watched the movie. Background score was deep and intense, making the whole mood of the movie flow with some magic. Next comes the art
direction. A visual treat to the viewer with many bright colours that are pretty much Indian in nature, which is what I really liked the most.

I would suggest the readers that even if you have read a bad review somewhere, I recommend you to go and check out this movie. And I suggest you not to keep any expectations before entering the theater.

As I said this is a classic, treat this as what I told and I’m sure you will appreciate the effort of Sanjay Leela Bansali. He raised the bar of Indian cinema to a new level making it look like an international film with a conventional Indian drama having an unconventional ending.

I suppose all the speculation on the movie is about the ending, we Indians are used to seeing happy endings.This might be one of the reasons why people are not willing to watch this movie. According to me this movie deserves a place next to
international classics. If you are a fanatic of classics, you certainly want this movie to be in your movie library.

RATING: 3.5/5
written by: Manohar Vanamadi

2 comments:

Aaryaputra said...

Gr8 Job Satish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice Review..............
We need to think all the aspects of the movie rather than fault finding.... I am sure ur review will go a long way in setting the thought right in the minds of people...........

Anonymous said...

Thnx 4 the comments n for ur support. The review is written by Manohar, an active contributor to the site.